Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mind-Spirit-and now, the Body!

Really soon, now, Bob and I embark on a Bike Trip that we have dreamed of for a really long time.  OK, let's tell the truth here...HE dreamed of it, I could barely imagine it!  We will be cycling (yes, pedaling!) the Coast of Oregon.  The process of getting here has been quite an adventure already.  

My body has often lagged behind the growth that I have accomplished in the world of spirit, emotion and mind.  When I read The Way of the Peaceful Warrior years ago, I was amazed by the idea that one's body could be that much of an ally on the path of life.  I grew up using my mind to get me through.  In high school, I woke up to the fact that I could actually LEARN to use my body in fun ways, first through interpretive dance, and then through volleyball and basketball.  I was amazed to discover that my body could learn too!  I began to look forward to PE, instead of it being the dreaded class of the day, and I had fun there.  In the next decade, I learned to rock climb, and began to lead wilderness expeditions (similar to Outward Bound), and became a ropes course instructor.  In all of these experiences, I had a sense of personal power, and wanted to share that with others.

Fast forward to meeting Bob 12 years ago.  As you may know, that man never stops moving!  His process is the opposite of mine; in many ways his Body leads the way.  He first convinced me to get on a bike by creating Monday lunch rides:  yep, if I rode my bike up this gnarly hill, the reward was lunch at Cabo San Luis.  We did this regularly, and it got easier and more fun.  Lucky for me, he had previous girlfriends who trained him not to leave them in the dust!  He was patient and encouraging. 

Over the years since then, I have continued my practice of yoga, worked with the Law of Attraction, meditated regularly, and ridden to lunch almost every Monday.  Little by little, we started taking bikes on our trips, and last summer I surprised myself by being able to mountain bike at 10,000 feet in Colorado!  The wildflowers and the pristine meadows in Crested Butte were their own reward (lunch was actually secondary!).  As many of you know, I have been working with the nutritional aspects of live food, superfoods and the emotional/mind piece of seeing food as fuel not as entertainment. The process continues, and some days are more powerful than others! 

Bob and I added errands and missions to our Monday rides. We made the Tribune (local newspaper) with a picture and all, focusing on our alternative transportation.  I even found myself choosing clothing that was bike-friendly. 3 years ago, I dropped Bob off in Seattle, and he pedaled all the way home (to San Luis Obispo, CA), while I drove to visit friends and family.

A year ago, I finally said yes to a new bike (there it is, above, on a ride in Cambria this spring). Bob had been trying to get me one for years, but I kept saying that I didn't ride enough.  I have to admit, though, my new bike, a Trek FX 7.5, has really inspired me.  It was easier to keep up; what I had thought was just not being in shape turned out to be (partly) a function of the equipment!  I got a really cool rack and panier set, and began to find excuses to go for a bike ride!  As you can imagine, Bob was delighted.  We began to talk about touring (after all, I had the packs for it).  I kept waiting to be in the kind of shape that would allow me to do this ride. Then one  day the lightbulb went on.  I thought back to my days of backpacking.  I was always in great shape at the END of the trip.  So, what would it take for this to be do-able for me?  Where were the campgrounds closer together so I could get from one to the other?  The Oregon Coast.  Alas, the planning began.  And the training rides. 

Check out my next blog for the preparation!  








No comments:

Post a Comment