Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mind-Spirit-and Now the Body, Part 2: The Mind Steps Up!

The preparation for Bob and Elaina's amazing adventure continues. (See part 1 for the beginning of the story...)

The new bike continues to excite me.  We begin the planning for the trip by looking at the guidebook:  Bicycling the Pacific Coast .  Who knew there were drawings that showed the side view of all those hills I will be climbing!?  I am newly motivated to get ready!  We discover all the cool places you could go, here on the Central Coast, and get in 30 miles.  Lunch rides now expand to go to Pete's Cafe at the end of the Avila Pier with a few side trips.  Trips to all the corners of SLO.   My cyclo-computer offers feedback; I learn what 30 miles feels like...my jacuzzi helps after the ride. 

I am hungry all the time, and the food takes on more of the "fuel" aspect.  I think, before I eat, "Will this help me get up a hill?"  I am using energy-testing (aka muscle testing) to check all food before it goes in my mouth.  I am delighted that some high-calorie foods test "ok". And I feel more connected to my body. 

"Where can I ride next?" is running through my mind.  Can I go there on my bike instead of in the car?  This is truly a transformation.  I am even excited about loading up those paniers and pedaling somewhere.  My inner child is on board...she is all about the fun, the costumes, the photos.  My inner teenager is still not sure how "cool" this all is, but she's co-operating at least.  And my body is happy to have moved higher on the priority list.

Bob suggests we do the Arroyo Grande Centennial Ride as it had options to suit both of us.  At first I panicked, then I decided it could be fun.  My first "organized" ride.  So, off we went.  I was a bit intimidated as almost everyone else was a "real" cyclist.  My ego took a hit, then I remembered I am "moving from operating out of my ego to operating from my essence". (I thank Kathryn Brewer and all her sharing, for bringing that to me!).  Bob's ego even survived as many cyclists passed right by us!  I pedaled and pedaled.  The scenery was beautiful.  I took care to keep the pace that was best for me; and it worked!  At one aid station, I was warned about the upcoming hill.  Yikes, I was already tired.  Somehow I got a-hold of myself:  I remembered to use "I can" self-talk, to take it one breath at a time, and to see what I could do!  I actually made it to the top of that hill, albeit hiking the last little bit.   At the top, I was exhilarated and felt a great sense of accomplishment.  I turned around, and on the way back down, discovered I didn't need to pedal till I got almost back to the beginning.  The uphill had actually started way back at the beginning of the ride.  This was quite a revelation.  No wonder it had been so challenging! 

My mind realizes this is a metaphor for all the times in my life when I am growing, learning, "going uphill" and I don't even notice the accomplishment! 

That day, Bob went on to do the big ride; I did my 30 miles, and felt very happy.

Next comes the realization that I am doing 30 miles once or twice a week (with a lot of short rides in between), but I still can't imagine doing 25-35 day after day.  I know that my imagination is very powerful, and I need to get my mind more fully on board here.  I ponder my resources.  I am doing Energy Medicine exercises, getting support from my wonderful community, and I still can't imagine actually doing this!  I notice I am anxious a lot...and it's not so much fun getting ready.  Enter Anita Henry and her great hypnotherapy processes.  We do an amazing session, where we change the thoughts somewhere deep in there.  I realize that this truly is my opportunity to fully embrace my body's evolution.  I can create deep transformation on this trip!  This is my chance to do what I read about in The Way of the Peaceful Warrior.  This adventure has taken on a whole new spin. In fact, the session has brought together so many of my intentions and I see how this trip is just the right thing for me now.  Much of what I have written about in these last two blogs came clear after this session.  My body is having its own evolution and I am so grateful!  It is my belief that, similar to the "new kids" who are being born with systems that are organized in new ways, those of us who already have bodies can allow the evolution to happen to our bodies while we are in them.  I will learn how to use my mind to get IN my body.  I will learn to use my body to fully support my spiritual growth.  I am excited!   Stay tuned for more adventures. 

A little note: Kathryn and Anita are both part of the QuietStar Team.  They can be reached through our website.



No comments:

Post a Comment