Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fun with my Voice

Recently, I was at a special gathering of our Flute Circle, and I had the privilege of bringing through some sound (toning**) while others played flute, electric bass guitar, didgeridoo, and drums. It was magical and I felt so honored. Afterward a former student at QuietStar came up to me and shyly said that she feels really called to “do that” and asked me about how I started “doing that”…did it always just flow? Of course, the answer is No, and that led to a whole discussion about the vulnerability of letting your voice out. I am so excited when someone finds the space to do just that. She inspired me to tell my story, so here it is.

When I was young, I sang in chorus at school, sometimes playing the autoharp in accompaniment. Then in 5th or 6th grade, someone told me I couldn't carry a tune, and I promptly stopped singing. Up to this point, I had been "producing" neighborhood plays and leading Christmas carols at all family events.

I went on with my life, and about 25 years later, I was at an Easter service, singing in the congregation, and the friend I was with looked at me and said, "Your voice...it's amazing. You need to be singing!" So I just started singing every chance I got...His comment reminded me how much I loved singing, and I knew at that very moment, from the little chills in my body that I would be going somewhere with my voice.

The short story is that in 2008, the QuietStar Band created their first CD, and for me, it was a truly amazing experience! (link to Band info) Once the sound really starts to come through me (after I let go of control!) it isn't usually very scary anymore. And the feeling after I allow this expression, is pure bliss! And here is more of the story...

Little by little, I have found myself using my voice in all kinds of interesting ways. Having channeled energy for many years, I began to "sing along" with Enya in some of my sessions. I was then synergistically guided to a couple Sound Healers, and knew that's what I had been doing! Since then, I have found chanting to be an amazing way to expand my voice, have studied with various vocal teachers, and see as much live music as I can. But the biggest thing has just been to allow...to connect deeply with Spirit and to allow myself to be a channel for the sound and energy. And then the bliss makes me wonder why I ever thought letting go was hard!

In my next post, I will include some tips for opening up your voice....in the meantime, just sing anytime, anywhere you feel comfortable. And if you can't sing out, hum.

Love and Light, Elaina
**What is toning?...answers by Yvonne Roza

No comments:

Post a Comment